Wednesday, April 22, 2009

It's Official!!!!

I am now a licensed driver in Germany! Watch out roads! Here I come! And I really didn't understand much of what was on that test! After a 2.5 hour class, in which keeping my eyes open was extremely difficult, we finally got to take our 100 question test. We had to get at least 85 correct to pass. Deaner missed 10 questions and I desperately wanted to beat him. Unfortunately I missed 10 too so we only tied! I thought for a split second about telling him I only missed 9 but I know I would have eventually caved in and told the truth! :) Boo!

Besides taking the drivers test this morning, today had been pretty uneventful. I met Deaner for lunch by his office after the test and then headed back here to the hotel where I promptly fell asleep. I guess I am out of practice at getting up that early!

Hmmmmm, what else? Last night we booked our flight to go to Rome over Memorial Day weekend! Deaner has a friend from UVA that is living there with his wife and two children and they invited us to stay with them for the weekend. I am super excited! We are leaving Friday night after Deaner gets off work and coming back late on Monday night. So we will have almost 3 full days of sight seeing!! Does anyone have any suggestions of what we MUST see while we are there? I am a bit apprehensive because we booked flights on RyanAir but it was by far the cheapest way to go. Does anyone have any tips on flying this airline? I know we are not able to bring much with us at all and that we must follow all the rules or get nailed with fees so any tips would be much appreciated. My biggest fear is that we will get on a nasty airplane where all the seats are covered in other people's grossness. But for Rome, I will try and manage!

We are also trying to think of a place to go this weekend. Steph and Jon are going to Dublin for Steph's birthday and we are thinking about trying to take an overnight trip somewhere fun and not too far away.

Alright, I know that this is a boring post but it was a pretty boring day. Didn't walk into any concrete posts or anything! Above is a picture of my grandfather, Captain Jack, and me. If you have a second, send up a little prayer for him today! The results of his melanoma removal were not the best. The only slightly humorous tidbit that has come out of this is that we heard someone had been telling people to pray for the Gleaton's grandfather, who had a terrible case of Salmonella!! HA HA!! So not the same thing! :)

5 comments:

M said...

You must must must must must go to the Vialla Borghese. Call ahead becaus you frequently need reservations, but if you even only do one "art history" esque thing this is it. I have been twice and would go 100 more times. Love everything about rome, I am so excited you are going!

PS congrats on the license.

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

Lots of thoughts...
-I totally beat Jordan on the test. He failed the first time. I only rubbed it in for a year. Or two.

-Ryan Air is just like Southwest in the states. Smaller planes but still clean and new. The biggest differences are the people you travel with. No assigned seats and people get pushy! If you just relax, and understand you will have a seat on the plane no matter what, it's no big deal.

-Love Rome. Get the Rick Steves guide for it. It helped us a lot!

d.a.r. said...

Congrats on passing the drivers test!

Sarah MC said...

Sadly, I don't have any suggestions for things to see in Rome! It's been on the "short list" for our family's next international trip, but I haven't been yet. I guess you'll have to fill us all in once you get back!

Was the driver's test anything at all like the one we had to take way back when? I remember sitting at a computer terminal or something and looking at ridiculous pictures and even more ridiculous multiple-choice options...

I will definitely keep Capt. Jack in my prayers. I know melanoma can be pretty scary, but I hope all goes well. Oh, and the Salmonella story is hilarious! :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Sarah and Richard on getting the car and yourselves licensed. I have just begun reading the blog so I will try to keep more up to date.

Dick/Dad