Friday, April 10, 2009

Crrrrrrrrrrrap

I am getting sick of the military after only 2 weeks! For some reason Deaner and I are having the hardest time getting our military I.D.'s. I wouldn't care about this except for the fact that this means that I can't go into the Commissary and therefore we are on a ration of diet coke and sprite zero. Every day military personnel has told us that it will only take one more day to get us into the system and have our I.D. cards issued. Deaner has been particularly grumpy about this because he needs his I.D. to start getting our reimbursement forms filled out ect. We were told yesterday that we would be in the system this morning and our plan was to take the shuttle to the base to obtain our I.D.'s. Instead of taking a 3 hour round trip excursion I got Deaner to call the I.D. office this morning just to make sure that we were in the system. Surprise!! We weren't! So as of this morning I had no plans for the day. Around 11 or so Deaner called to say that he had spoken with the office, we were in the system, and they could give us our I.D.'s if we could get to the base! Wooo-hooo! I took an 12:25 shuttle and met Deaner at the base I.D. office. And guess what? They were WRONG, we were NOT in the system, and they could NOT help us. Whaaaaat? They told us to try again Tuesday! Thanks for wasting our time!

Since there was over an hour until the next shuttle was going to pick us up we decided to find the Post Office so I could get more stamps for all our thank you notes. That was no easy task either but finally they let us buy them! Now I just have to get all those notes in the mail by May 11 when the postage goes up AGAIN. While we were waiting for the shuttle to come we decided that we would take a chance on the cell phone company at the Exchange being open. Most things in Germany are closed today because of Good Friday and will be closed on Monday too. There was another family waiting for the shuttle as well but while they were waiting the mom received a call from a friend who said she would come pick them up. When the lady came to pick them up she offered us a ride to the Exchange too! It was so nice! Turns out the family that was waiting at the shuttle has been here for exactly 2 weeks too and they are from Richmond, Virginia. It is a small world. We really lucked out and the cell phone place was open! Deaner and I are now the proud owners of 2 new Apple iphones! Wooo-hooo! Not that we have anyone to call but each other but now I don't have to be away from my e-mail ever! We have spent the rest of the afternoon playing with the new phones. Now it is time to get ready for dinner. I am starving! I'm sure there are some big german beers in my near future as well. Yum! I think that the weather here this weekend is supposed to be stunning and that we might be making a day trip tomorrow but we will see. That will all depend on how late Deaner makes me stay out tonight! :) I'll update with pictures soon!

3 comments:

Allison said...

ahhh, the "system". gotta love it. the military likes to blame the "system" for just about everything. either the "system is down" or you aren't "in the system"...after awhile you just come to expect that everything will take about 10 times longer than you think it should :) hehe

New Girl on Post said...

Ha! Welcome to the world of the military. At times like this..it sucks. They NEVER do what they say they are going to.

Captain Jack said...

SARAH YOUR MOM LET ME READ YOUR BLOG AND I'M HOOKED.GREAT READING AND SINCE I'M KINDA GROUNDED FOR A FEW WEEKS I'VE NOW GOT SOMETHING TO READ EACH DAY.MAYBE THERE IS SOME WAY TO GET ME ON THE SETUP AND IF SO I WILL RESPOND DAILY. OH BY THE WAY I SURVIVED THE OPERATION. IT WASN'T FUN AND I VOW NEVER TO RETURN FOR A REPEAT PERFORMANCE. FEELING VERY WEAK , DIZZY AND READY TO PUKE. GONNA MAKE IT THO.I LOVE AND MISS YA