Monday, October 12, 2009

Wine wine wine!

Do I have your attention yet? I feel like I have been a blog slacker lately but I am not sure why! I've still been missing my parents but that gets a little better everyday. This has been a fun filled weekend and I'll start at the beginning. Friday I was SO excited to find night stands that were suitable for our bedroom. I am not in love with them but they will certainly do until I find something that I can't live without. I told myself I was going to go to Ikea ONE MORE TIME and was not leaving without something I could use, no matter what. Thankfully I came up with these.Y'all have no idea how happy I am to have my bed and now something to put my book on each night. In all the time that Deaner and I have been together, I have never had my own alarm clock! When I wake up at night, I HAVE to know what time it is. This means that for that the past four years I have had to sit up in bed and look OVER Deaner's body to see what time it is. It is AWESOME to have my own clock now!! Oh the small things!

Friday evening was spent putting the nightstands together and then we had left over enchiladas. Yum! Saturday we slept in, went to lunch on the base, and then headed to the Wiesbaden soccer game! I have never been to a professional soccer game and I have to say that it was pretty boring!I'm not sure that I want to go back any time soon. And every single person around us was smoking. Nasty! Since we have moved to Europe I have gone from being very tolerant of smoking to being totally grossed out by it. And it is like a pre-requisite of being European. Afterwards we went to the grocery store to pick up dinner and snacks for football watching. Deaner made wings with homemade wing sauce (I had grilled chicken with the sauce) and it was DELICIOUS! I can't wait to have it again! Unfortunately it was a terrible outing football wise for me. While Deaner's team, UVA, won, both my teams lost. Dear Ole Miss and Georgia, you pretty much sucked this weekend and left me in a foul mood! Unfondly, Sarah.

Sunday Steph and Jon came over and we grilled out and played a really fun game called Apples to Apples. I would highly recommend it for those who like playing games. Easy and entertaining! We drank lots of beer and an awesome drink called Gluwein. It is like a mulled red wine that is served hot. It is a Christmas type drink and Steph and Jon found it in the local German grocery store. I can't wait to have more at the Christmas market! We had lots of fun.

Today Deaner had the day off! A big thanks to Christopher Columbus for discovering America!! We really appreciate it! :) Deaner and I spent the afternoon on a tour of an old Monastery/winery. We have been to Kloster Eberbach before but never on the tour. Someone from his office set up an English speaking tour and it was really fantastic. At the end, we had a wine tasting in a candle lit wine cellar!! Here are a few picture of the Monastery.The candlelight tasting at the end was the best. It was a little dark for a picture but I think you can sort of see where we were in this picture.I can't wait to take my brother in law to do this tour! Now we are home and just enjoyed lentil soup and grilled cheese for dinner. Deaner is falling asleep sitting straight up and it is only 7:30! Guess I won't get a ton of reading in tonight! Tomorrow we are heading to the Netherlands for Deaner's work and then the rest of the week we will be in Brussels. I'll have PLENTY of time to blog from there. By the time we get home on Friday the weather is calling for a low of 30 degrees. I think I will probably die here this winter!! Alright, I'm heading to read now!! By the way, this is my 200th post!! I know, really eventful!! Happy Monday!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love Apples to Apples! It's such a fun game!

Allison said...

Amen about the whole smoking thing. UGH. It drove me NUTS when we lived there!! So gross.

Apples to Apples is one of our family get-together staples. We love it :)

Kiss My Tiara said...

Hi! I have been reading your blog for a while now but don't think I have ever commented! I am from Charlottesville so I love seeing your husband wear his UVA hat all over the world! I LOVE apples to apples, what a great game!!

Chubs said...

Having now visited the church at Kloster Eberbach, can you imagine how great it would be to hear a symphony orchestra play in that building during the Rheingau Music Festival? Seriously, you have to look into that for the next season.