Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Halloween Happiness!

Yesterday turned into a much more eventful afternoon than I originally planned for! Just about the time that I posted yesterday George rang our doorbell to ask if his wife, daughter, and two grandson's could come with him to carve pumpkins that same evening. It was 4:30pm and George was supposed to be at our house (alone) at 6:00pm. Oh lord. Deaner and I were planning on carving pumpkins and having a semi late dinner. This just about guaranteed that that wasn't going to happen!

I just had time for a VERY quick house cleaning, throwing together a very simple appetizer and setting up all the pumpkins. Of course they were early and Deaner wasn't even home from the gym. UGH. This would not have been a very big deal but George has a grandson that is rather rambunctious. And by rambunctious I mean that he might be borderline crazy. It was a quiet evening that he only hurdled himself onto my cleanly made bed and later threw a knife at me. I ducked luckily and it hit the window behind me but I always have to be on my toes around that kid!! I call him Dennis the Menice! Did I mention that he was 2 and a half?

The pumpkin carving was a huge success! Here is a picture of mine....One of Deaner's.....And of 8 year old, Julian's......Can you tell which of the two of us used a pattern and which one of us didn't!!?? HA! Here are a few more pictures of all of us pumpkin carvers. You can see that Deaner didn't even get to take a shower after the gym!I think that they all turned out really well and it was a really fun night. I think we will plan on making it an annual event. I can't wait to light the candles in the pumpkins again tonight! Today I had to go to the PX and buy more candy because little Julian said he was going to tell his entire class at school to come trick or treat at our house. GREAT!

I am currently making a new recipe for dinner. Deaner loves French Onion Soup and I am caramelizing the onions right now. God, it sure does take a long time! They have been on the stove for over an hour now! They sure do smell good right now! I might just run down to the bakery and see if it is still open and get a fresh loaf of bread. Hope everyone is having a Happy Wednesday!

6 comments:

Emily said...

Aww your pumpkins look great!

morewineplease said...

WOW! Those look great!

B. Wilson @ Windy {City} Wilsons said...

I just had French Onion soup at a restaurant in Frankfurt this evening (actually Bad Homburg). It was delicious! The restaurant is also a brewery and I'm positive they made the soup with beer. Here's the restaurant if you're ever in the area: http://www.hofgut-kronenhof.de/ (mostly regional German food, but I liked that soup and I'm currently looking for recipes online to make it myself!

miasmom said...

Love your pumpkin - nice work!

susanne said...

Better get lots of candy - the word will get out that the crazy Americans are handing out free goodies. You'll be very popular.
Love the pumpkins.

Laura said...

Great pumpkins! I helped carve my son's first pumpkin this year, lots of fun except for the scooping out part!