Thursday, October 29, 2009

Damn Sour Cream

I just noticed that it is almost 5pm, my husband should be on his way home from work and I haven't even started my blog post for the day. Probably because I haven't done anything worthwhile at all today! I put dinner in the crock pot at 9:00am and I have watched 4 episodes of Grey's Anatomy on itunes. Pathetic, I know. I am going to try and do a little bit better tomorrow! Especially now that I have to go back to the commissary for the THIRD time this week.

I'm getting a little annoyed with neighbor George. He is the nicest person I have ever met and I can't even tell you what trouble we would have been in if we didn't have him around to help us out. However, today he might have stepped over the line in annoyingness. When everyone came over to carve pumpkins on Tuesday some of you may recall that I had gone to the Commissary but forgotten my wallet. So the only thing that I had to make as an appetizer was an envelope of onion soup mix and a tub of sour cream. Viola! George proclaimed that it was the best appetizer he had ever eaten (I thought this was a bit over the top but apparently he was not kidding). Yesterday as I was about to make my way to the Commissary (again) he stopped me and asked me about the dip ingredients. Seriously? I know that they could not get Lipton Onion Soup mix in the German grocery stores so I told him I would buy him a box of it and he could get his own sour cream. Problem solved right?

Wrong. This afternoon when I was bringing in my garbage can low and behold, George shows up. He wanted to ask me what you mix the onion soup with. I again told him Sour Cream. He informed me that he didn't think that they could get sour cream in Germany but that he would do some research. I mean really. I think you would know if it was available or not. If you go your whole life without ever having sour cream or knowing what it is, you probably don't have it. I went about my afternoon. 20 minutes later the doorbell rang. George again. Asking to SEE my sour cream. So we come up to the kitchen where I have one almost empty sour cream container and one brand new one. I show him the old one. Thank god because he puts his FINGER IN IT AND TASTES IT. Then he deduces that they don't have it in Germany. He starts EYEING my NEW container. He starts to say that he needs it by tomorrow and there is no way possible for him to get it anywhere else. He asks if I am going to the Commissary AGAIN before tomorrow evening. NO NO NO. I have to draw the line somewhere!!!! It was MY sour cream!!! And I don't even LIKE sour cream but Deaner does and so I keep it in the house! I told him sorry, no, I needed it so he left.

Then I told Deaner what happened and after much going back and forth guess who delivers the new container of sour cream down to George in his office. ME. I feel so defeated. I held my ground for about 45 minutes and now I will probably have to return to the commissary tomorrow to buy myself more. You know, just to keep on hand in case our neighbors need to borrow it!

At least tomorrow is Friday! I plan on drinking many many adult beverages and enjoying my weekend!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tell your annoying neighbor that he can use "Saure Sahne" instead of sour cream.It's almost the same and you can buy it in every grocery store....:-))...I guess he wouldn't taste the difference..

EmilyB said...

HA!! You can't really escape an annoying neighbor. I mean, you're right - it's great he's nice and all, but I would surely be annoyed too! Enjoy the weekend!!

susanne said...

Who wants to live in a world without sour cream??

S said...

ok, tell George it is called Sauerrahm in german. He can get it at every grocery store. If he can't find it, Schmand will do it too.

Jon and Steph said...

UMMMMM, That's is extremely annoying! I can't believe him. Does he not think before he says or does ANYTHING?

I do think he is nice, but there is such a thing as over stepping boundries!

Megan said...

I find that when I make dinner in the crock pot it's hard to get motivated for the rest of the day. Why bother, dinner's already done!


As for sour cream, tell him he can use creme fraiche. They sell it at Marks and Spencers, and I know they have M&S in Germany!

The Pink Chick said...

Oh no! You poor thing! It is wonderful to have a sweet neighbor, but his annoying ways are a bit much! I hope you have a wonderful weekend and enjoy your adult beverages! :)

Beth Dunn said...

I would have done the same thing. As you I mean. xoxo

SC