Thursday, May 28, 2009

Day II in Rome

Sunday morning we were off to explore Vatican City. I never had any intention of trying to see the Pope in person because I figured that it would just be too hard. However, on Saturday evening I read in our Frommer's Rome book that every Sunday at noon the Pope opens his study windows, says a few words, and blesses everyone watching in the crowd below. Sold. Deaner and I were racing against time to make it to St. Peter's Square by noon. We weren't exactly sure the best way to get there but luckily we met another couple (who also happened to be from Atlanta!) on the bus who were heading in the same direction and we were able to follow them. We reached St. Peters Square at about 11:50 and started waiting. Here are a few of the shots I took while I was waiting.So, I am all ready for the Pope to open his study window. I have the PERFECT place in the Piazza and have my camera all set to take his picture. I even practiced with these shots. The Pope opens the window on the left.Right at noon the large TV screen in the Plaza lights up and some church hymns begin to play. Literally my heart was beating so fast! I don't know why I was so excited! I really hadn't thought I would get to see the Pope in the first place. I grew up Catholic, going to Catholic school, but I would never claim to be a role model in the religion. Anyways, that window still wasn't opening and I was anxious! Then here is a shot of what I saw on the TV.At this point, I turn to Deaner and said something to the effect of "I guess he will come out after this little tape". Very hesitantly Deaner said "Ummm, Gleatie? I think that this is a live video. And this would mean that the Pope isn't actually here". WHAAAAAAAAA???? I'm standing right here in St. Peter's Plaza and the Pope ISN'T EVEN HERE!?! Unfortunately, Deaner was correct. The Pope was somewhere else and they were just piping him into Pope TV!! I was so disappointed! Geez! Oh well, I was still excited to see St. Peter's and the Vatican Museum (Sistine Chapel). Until our new friends informed us that the Vatican Museum was closed on Sundays! Gosh, it was starting to seem like we couldn't catch a break!! It turned out to be no big deal though. We decided we would have lunch and then head to see St. Peter's since it was open on Sundays and save the Vatican Museum for Monday. Here is a picture of me standing right outside of St. Peter's.I am going to post a few pictures from the inside of St. Peter's but they turned out sort of grainy because of the high sensitivity that I had to use. It was truly breath taking.After walking around the inside of St. Peter's we went to see the tomb of the Pope's where we got to see the recently deceased Pope John Paul II. tomb. It was really really neat. From Vatican City we went to Castle St. Angelo. We didn't go inside because it was really hot and sort of expensive but we walked around outside the castle and by the river.Our last stop of the day was Piazza Navona. This Piazza is one of the oldest in Rome and is crowded with street performers and art vendors. It is home to 3 beautiful fountains as well. Deaner and I bought 3 awesome black and white watercolors that are really little but I love them.The pictures are of the Colosseum, the Trivi Fountain, and Vatican City. I'm thinking that I will put them in individual black frames that they will be nice in a guest bathroom or something. Guess I need to first find a place to live! Here are a few pictures from Piazza Navona.And so ends another fabulous day in Rome (minus the absent Pope!). I slept quite hard again on Sunday night. Tomorrow I will write about the last day! Monday we visited the Vatican Musuem before getting ready to head home. I have some excellent pictures I can't wait to share!

Keep Deaner and I in your thoughts today! We are meeting with the architect this afternoon. I think we are leaning against the big nice new condo now. Of course, I am really disappointed but financially it might just be over extending. We looked at another house yesterday and while I didn't love it (I think it needs work) it means that I wouldn't have to worry about working if I didn't want to. We are both just so confused about what we want to do. I just want to have a place to live decided on SOON!

3 comments:

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Aww!!!! I'm sorry the Pope wasn't really there. At least you got to see him talking while being in the square. That's more than most people can say.

I hope you get the move figured out soon!

Chubs said...

Great pictures. Sounds like it was a great trip. I saw a Rick Steves segment the other day on the Castell St. Angelo and the elevated pathway/escape route between it and the Vatican. It was quite interesting.

You have a pronoun case error in the last paragraph. Good luck on the housing front. Patience, grasshopper.

susanne said...

The Pope story is quite hilarious. Perhaps if you WERE a better Catholic, you might have caught a break. Don't you just love the Piazza di Navona?? It is crowded like that at midnight every night!! I had a slice of pizza today for lunch in your honor. Wish I had eaten it in Roma.