Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Working Woman

It has officially been 9 months and 2 weeks since I last had a job. I cannot say that I regretted leaving behind my position in Atlanta because, well, it was the pits. I have never for one minute missed working for my former employer and there are also very few people I worked with that I miss (disclaimer, there are a FEW and they know who they are!). For some time now Deaner has been tapping his toe about me doing some kind of work even if it is only part time. We agreed that I would sign up to substitute teach because it would be flexible and would allow me to continue to travel with Deaner when he has to go out of town. After FOUR hideous months of getting the run around from the school, I am finally cleared to substitute. Last night I got a call around 9:15pm to work a half day today subbing for the music teacher. I agreed and then didn't sleep a wink because I was so nervous! I had to be there at 7:50 this morning so I was up bright and early. Thankfully the school is really laid back and I was allowed to wear jeans.

I got to my room around 8 and thankfully the teacher had left pretty detailed instructions about what needed to be done. And it was easy. All four classes got to watch a movie. Woooo-hoooo! If there is one thing I can do, it is push play on a VCR. Yes, I said VCR. My second class of the day was of kindergarteners. When they were lined up to leave my room one little girl turned around to me and said "You look really pretty". I was totally caught off guard and thanked her. Then in a tone that sounded really mean and ugly she said "Aren't you going to tell me that I look pretty too"?!? Hmmmmmmmmmm. A little wierd. In another class a little boy was having some issues controlling himself. I asked him repeatedly to stop talking and then I moved him. When I asked him what his name was he told me that he didn't know. Little twerp wouldn't tell me his name! Luckily there were several tattletails in the class that filled me in. When his teacher arrived to pick up the class she asked if I had any problems. I told her about my issue with "C" and unfortunately for him, he lost his recess priviledges for the day! The same class also told me that their regular teacher always lets them lie down while they are watching movies. I thought this sounded a little fishy so I said no, you have to sit up. Later I was reading the posters on the wall and one very clearly stated, "Always Sit Up While Watching Movies". Thank god I didn't fall for that!

All in all it was a pretty uneventful morning. I have a feeling that it didn't accurately prepare me for what subbing can really be like. I am subbing again on Friday as the aide to a kindergarten sub. Should be more interesting and hard, especially since it is all day. Ugh! For now, I'm just hoping that nothing bad happens to me on Friday. I'm already nervous but at least I have tomorrow to relax!

Just a side note, has anyone else read Pat Conroy's new book South of Broad? Did anyone else think that it was totally the most ridiculous book they have read in a very long time? I thought the whole thing was outrageous. I only continued to read because of the absurdity! Any comments on that are welcome!

7 comments:

Jenny @ Practically Perfect... said...

Yay for finally getting cleared to work :-) I've heard that subbing can be quite trying and tedious. My husband did it for a semester in grad school, and he said it was one of the craziest jobs he's ever had!

Under this Umbrella said...

YAY for you...all in all a good first day. You know it could have been much worse! :)

I guess my prediction yesterday was not correct.

I haven't read South of Broad yet, but it is on my bedside table. Should I read it just for the absurdity? I think I will have to now.

Have a great day.

Emory said...

I love that they told you they get to lie down while watching movies. Reminds me of things we used to try to pull over on subs!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

That's great! I'm glad you finally got to start teaching!

lifeasfour said...

How funny! I have done some subbing in the past and it is definitely an adventure! I have read South of Broad and like you, thought it was the most ridiculous book I have ever read! I didn't even finish it and I could care less. What a waste of time!

chubs said...

I gave up on Pat Conroy at Prince of Tides. I wanted to sue him for the time I wasted reading that book. From what I hear, each book since has gotten worse (Except for the one about basketball - which was non-fiction). It is a shame when writers keep on writing after they are washed up.

Megan said...

I love Pat Conroy books! I did read South of Broad, and ended up liking it more than I thought I would. However, there were times that I had to put it down and walk away from it...Pat Conroy loves his family disfunction!