Monday, January 25, 2010

Making Our Way Home.....

To say that our trip home on Friday was stressful would be a great understatement. Traveling between Germany and England is one giant pain in the ass but Friday was a new level of awfulness. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 12:30pm with the gate closing at 12:00pm. It takes roughly 1 hour to get to the airport from the base we stay at and we have to return the rental car. We decided to wake up at 8am, leave the hotel by 9am, arrive at airport by 10:00am so that we had time to sit down and eat breakfast/lunch before heading to the gate. Good plan right? It's worked for us multiple times before now. We did everything right and were out of the hotel and on our way by 9:00am. The GPS said we would be at London Stanstead airport by 9:51am. Perfect. Or so I thought! As soon as we got on the M11 we came to a grinding halt. We have never had any trouble before with traffic but this traffic wasn't even moving. The ETA on the GPS kept moving further and further back. There wasn't anything we could do because there were no exits to even try and take a detour. When we finally came upon our exit, an hour later, we found out that the cause of the whole traffic jam was that the exit was closed all together. Oh lord! We were funneled onto another highway and the GPS made us get off on the first exit. After flying through several small towns we were sure we were never going to make our flight. The worst part of the journey came when Deaner got just a LITTLE too close to a car parked on the left side of the road. Our rear view mirrors collided and the noise made was not a good one. Our rearview mirror was dangling by a wire off the side of our car and was flapping against the door. Did I mention we were driving a BRAND NEW MERCEDES?!!? I was crying, Deaner was hollering and it seemed like we were not only not going to get home, but that we were going to owe a million dollars to fix this mirror.

Deep breath. The trusty GPS actually got us to the next exit onto the M11, where we needed to be and we pulled off at the normal gas station where we always fill up. Do not ask me how, I believe God was looking down on us, but Deaner fixed the mirror. He shoved the wires back into the car and threw his body weight against it. I heard a loud pop and somehow someway the mirror appeared to be fixed. We didn't test it and we didn't try to adjust it. When we returned the car to the rental company we held our breath while they inspected the car and signed off on it! I truly don't know how we got away with that one. We even had time to eat lunch before running to the gate. After our awful morning, we joined the line to board our flight. When we got to the front of the line I said to Deaner, uhhhh, why does the TV say this flight is going to Katowice? Hmmmmmmm. Long story short, we almost boarded the wrong flight. We would have ended up somewhere in Poland for the weekend. Thank god that didn't happen.

Thankfully we made it home. We had a nice relaxing weekend. Saturday we ate at a fantastic Thai restaurant and it was nice to get out of the house. I just can't believe the weekend is over already! I have been productive today already having been to workout, hit up the post office and the commissary. I'm about to start cooking dinner right now. When I was heading into the gym today a huge pile of snow (yes, it snowed about 4 more inches last night) decided to fall off the roof of the gym, three floors above, and fall straight onto the back of my neck and down my shirt. Nice. If I had seen this happen to someone else I would have peed in my pants laughing. Needless to say, it is not as funny when it happens to you! :) Anywho! I am going to start my new recipe for dinner. Keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't turn out to be a disaster!! We get to have another ultrasound to see Baby Deaner on Thursday and I CANNOT wait til the appointment!! Happy Monday everyone!

4 comments:

Jenny @ Practically Perfect... said...

All I can say is thank goodness for GPS! I would've been so lost. And my husband has done the same thing with a rental car... twice! Glad everything worked out in the end :-)

Anonymous said...

Still laughing and I even knew about it..........!!!

susanne said...

Can't wait to see the new pics of our Deaner-schnitzel baby!!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Wow! That sounds like an awful drive to the airport. I'm glad you guys made it though!