Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Weekend Part Duex

After a super fun evening at the festival in Weisbaden, Deaner and I got up on Saturday morning and managed to get out the door before 11am to head to Cologne. I had been to Cologne before (14 years before!) but Deaner had not so I was pretty excited to be able to show him around. Julia and I took a trip to Germany when we were 14 years old and Cologne is one city where we stayed for almost a week. She has family in the city and I was really looking forward to spending some time with everyone here! Obviously you have to see the Cathedral while in the city. Above is a shot of it where I was able to get most of it in. The Cologne Cathedral is so big that it is hard to take pictures of it! Once we got to Cologne Deaner and I walked down by the river and found a cute restaurant to eat lunch. Unfortunately we had to walk BACK to our hotel afterwards and check in since it wasn't ready when we got there but after that we headed to the Cathedral. Here some pictures I got of it but be warned that they aren't the best. I am in desperate need of a new camera (hint hint MOM!) and I am hoping to get one for my birthday! My mom said she thinks the Cathedral looks like it needs to be scrubbed with COMET! HA HA!I think that the Cathedral is amazing. Deaner wanted to climb to the highest belfrey but I was NOT in the mood to walk up 510 steps and then back down. Maybe next time honey! This next picture is one that I took only after having passed this guy THREE times walking to and from the hotel/cathedral/riverfront. I couldn't decide if he was dead, drunk and passed out, or just taking a little nap. Either way, it was a bit odd because he NEVER moved in over 3 hours!After getting back to our hotel we freshened up a bit and walked down the street to meet up with Julia and Daniel. Like I said earlier, Julia has a lot of family in Cologne and they were staying down the street at some friend's house. Our plans were to have dinner with about 18 people who were all cousins of Julia somehow! They were staying directly across the street from her late Grandmother Mia's pub!! Baby Mia is named after Moma Mia and I was lucky enough to meet Moma Mia the first time I came to Germany. Here is a picture of the pub! Moma Mia used to live on the second floor above the bar. The window that is directly over the door of Fruh em Veedel was a window seat that Julia and I used to sit in every morning and people watch! It is exactly the same as it was 14 years ago and was very cool to be able to go back!After dinner we were able to go back to the Fruh and have drinks! Mia fell asleep in the car on the way home and the people they are staying with, Harold and Ilka, had a baby monitor that reaches all the way over to the pub!! Here is a picture of it with our coaster indicating how many beers we ordered!I don't know who that lady in the background is! Hanging out in the bar was a lot of fun and we had a really good time as you can tell by this picture.I love Cologne and Deaner and I will definitely go back sometime in the near future! Especially now that I have been reacquianted with Harold and Ilka! Sunday morning we had breakfast with everyone at Harold and Ilka's apartment up on their rooftop deck. This is the view.It doesn't get much better than this! You can also see the bar from the roof top deck! Just to prove how close it is and that the baby monitor really does reach there!After a walk around Cologne it was time for us to leave. J&D are staying there the rest of the week but alas, Deaner has to work and we had to make the trip to London on Monday morning. We stopped on the way home from Cologne to visit with some friends of Deaner's parents. It was very nice to see them. We were happy to get back to Wiesbaden Sunday night even though it was already 9:15pm! UGH! We had to pack our bags and be ready to leave the house at 7:15am the next morning to get to the airport! Once again, I think I will go ahead and post this and write about England in another post. I'm here now and sitting in the hotel room waiting on Deaner to get back from his meeting. Pretty soon though I am going to have to go eat lunch alone! I'll post about our journey here afterwards!! Wow, three posts in one day! It will be a new record! I'll remember never to get this far behind again!

2 comments:

Allison said...

I LOVE the Koln cathedral...I think it is still one of my fav. cathedrals of all time!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Those are great pictures of the cathedral! The picture with the guy who never moved made me laugh out loud. Glad you had a good time!