Friday, June 5, 2009

Another Italian Vacation!

Deaner just booked us tickets to Milan over the 4th of July weekend!! We are flying into Milan and taking a train to Lake Como for the weekend. I am SO excited about it! I have never been to Lake Como but my parents have and they LOVED it. Our flights are booked but now we need to find a good hotel! Has anyone ever been to Lake Como and stayed in a place that they loved? Now I have a fun trip to be able to plan and research. Then once we get back from this trip, I get to head back to the States 10 days later! Yea!!!

So, I know that I told y'all that I didn't really want to meet with those house people last night because all they do is talk. I had really no idea what I was in for! We got there at 6:00pm and started going over what all was going to be included in the house and what work projects were going to be done before we moved in. Seems easy enough right? WRONG. After it was decided that the current owner was going to lay tile for us on the back patio he INSISTED that we walk down the street and look at our tile options. Lord! It was cold outside yesterday too! SO, after the tile excursion the man asked us if we had time to have dinner with them! UGH! He has already booked a table somewhere! It was exactly what I didn't want to happen. However, I was pleasantly surprised.
Instead of heading right to the restaurant like I was hoping, they wanted to stop and have a glass of wine with us somewhere. They took us down to the river and we had a glass of wine from this REALLY neat little place. It is only open when the weather gets warm for the summer. It is this little pavilion area that has 3 giant wine barrels that open up into a wine bar (I am kicking myself for not taking a picture). Each week another winemaker is brought in to showcase his/her wine so the selection changes on a weekly basis. There are picnic tables set up right by the river and it is a REALLY neat place. Plus, a glass of wine only cost 1 EURO ($1.42) is really awesome! I am actually getting really excited about this house because I can't wait to take our friends and family to this little place!

Then we went to dinner at this little place called Trenz. Here is a picture I found on the internet!It was a winery with a small menu of dinner items. The wine was fantastic. I was VERY nervous at first because they didn't have an English menu and I was having a hard time reading the German menu. I ordered Spargel Suppe (white asparagus soup) and Flammkuchen. I was SO nervous since I have never had Flammkuchen before. Everyone laughed at me when I asked what the "pizza" I saw everyone eating was. Apparently Flammkuchen is NOT the same thing as pizza. To be quite honest, it wasn't that much different. First of all, the Spargel Suppe was DELICIOUS. I seriously don't know what I am going to do when Spargel goes out of season in a few weeks! It was so so so good and I could eat it with every meal! I was also surprised by how much I loved the Flammkuchen! It was VERY similar to a pizza but there wasn't tomato sauce on it. It was some sort of white sauce. There was cheese, smoked bacon, and red onion on it. Yum! I can't wait to have it again! The dinner turned out fine and I am glad that we got to go (especially since they treated us!) but we didn't get home until almost 11pm! I just feel like we can't ever go there and come back quickly! The most important part is that we are going to be getting an awesome house and hopefully getting to move in at the end of July/beginning of August. Something tells me not to hold my breath!

We don't have much planned for this weekend! I think that the weather is supposed to be crappy. I forgot to mention it the other day but we had a great time at dinner on Wednesday night with the couple we met over the whole condo debacle. We went to a restaurant in Wiesbaden called Weber's Wikinger and it was fantastic.Anne and I both ordered fajitas and I was surprised how much I loved mine! Deaner ordered lamb and said that it was delicious. Brian ordered a steak on a rock and cooked it himself! I think that I will have to try that next time. OR at least I will have a steak cooked for me! Anyways we really enjoyed the company and I think that perhaps we might have two new friends (Steph, they had nothing on y'alls beer drinking abilities! We need to hang out SOON!)

Tonight we are having dinner with a family that is also staying here in the hotel. I met the wife because we always rode the bus together each morning and started talking. They just moved here from Virginia and have never done anything like this either! They have two children and tonight we are going to meet up and walk to dinner at an Irish Pub that is nearby. I'm looking forward to it after a long day of being BORED! Deaner had to have that going away lunch today and I have been here chilling and doing laundry. I need to take a shower but I am trying to wait until they come and clean the room! I don't want them coming in while I am in the shower!

Anyways, hope everyone has a great weekend! I'd love to hear what everyone is up to!

10 comments:

susanne said...

WOW - what an exciting life you lead!!
The Hotel du Lac is fabulous on Lake Como in Varenna. You can take the ferries to Bellagio and tour the other little towns nearby. Also, you can take a little lake tour and go by George Clooney's house!!
The train from Milan will drop you off right in the little town of Varenna and you can walk to the Hotel.

Jenny @ Practically Perfect... said...

What a fun excursion! Be sure to take lots of pictures so we can all live vicariously through them, ha ha!

Have a great weekend :-)

Emory said...

Ohh, I want to go to that wine bar when I visit!

Jon and Steph said...

Seriously that trip to Milan sounds amazing!!! Oh my goodness, you guys are going to have a blast! Majorly jealous ;)

Definitely lets get together soon. We'll be home Sunday if ya'll want to get together. If not, definitely next week!

Have a great weekend!

miasmom said...

We stayed at Hotel Albergo Milano in Varenna and it has beautiful views of the lake. Loved it and the family that runs it was really nice. Maybe you can take us to that wine tasting place when we get there?!

EmilyB said...

Ohmygosh - I just saw your comment. I can't believe you moved to Germany right in the midst of your wedding planning. I'd love to hear any advice you may have about the whole process. I guess it will make for great stories later in life :)

Anonymous said...

I'd LOVE to go to Lake Como! I am so jealous. :)

Jane said...

I think you should just stay with George Clooney. And maybe give me a call and I'll just stop by for an apertif! :)

The steak on a stone ... yummy! That used to be what we would do for my birthday dinner when we were in Austria. I loved it!

d.a.r. said...

Um, can I have your life please???? That is amazing!!!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

That looks like it was a super cute restaurant!

That trip for the 4th of July sounds amazing! I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time! You'll have to take tons of pictures!