Sunday, January 22, 2012

Weekend + Failure

Can I just tell y'all about our weekend? It was definitely not how I was expecting to spend my two relaxing days. We clearly have not kicked this bug completely or we keep swapping germs with the twins and continue to get sick. While Evans has been okay this week he is still having issues coughing and barfing at night. I've changed more crib sheets and washed the bumper on the crib more than I ever care to do for the rest of my life. By Friday I wasn't feeling good either. But just wait until you hear about our Saturday. It can most effectively be broken down into five main parts.

1. 6:00am -- Evans begins to wail. Noooooooooo, are you kidding me? What happened to the kid that sleeps until 8:45 on the weekends? Well, that would be a little unrealistic to expect considering the second I opened his bedroom door I was overpowered by the smell of vomit. I really don't need to elaborate on this except to say that this sucks. If you are a parent, you probably understand. If I could make one request (besides to actually STOP barfing in the crib) it would be to at least try and contain the barf to one portion of the crib. Preferably not on the bumper too. Enough said.

2. 12:15pm -- Mom and I decided that we HAD to get out of the house. It was pouring rain, Evans was whining and we were climbing the walls. We headed out with E to Five Guys for lunch. Evans was thrilled to be going out and I suspect that he was actually quite hungry as well. We ordered burgers, collected drinks/ketchup/napkins and got all set up. Burgers came and we all dug in. About 2.5 minutes into eating and approximately 3 bites into my cheeseburger, Evans shoved a french fry straight down his throat and started coughing. I knew we were screwed. Projectile vomit. All over every square inch of me, him, the floor, the high chair, the table etc. For a second my mom and I just started at each other before she managed to say "Well, that was great". Commence operation clean up and sneak out. Thankfully we were sitting in a corner and no one else saw it happen. I would have felt very bad about ruining someone elses lunch.

3. 3:30pm -- Climbing walls again. Evans, who is absolutely fine besides being whiny, is clearly ready for another adventure because he decides to run away from home. Umm-hmmm, you read that right. Evans is allowed anywhere on the first floor of this house. I don't follow him around everywhere because there isn't a ton that he can get into. I was quietly reading on the couch and he was playing around me in his pajamas (he had to put on something after the Five Guys incident). A couple minutes later I realized that it had gotten really quiet in the house. This is not abnormal but all the same I called out for him. Nothing. A little louder this time. Nothing. I got up from the couch and asked my dad if he had seen Evans. No. I run to the back of the house calling for him and it is clear that he is not back there. At this point I'm starting to feel a little panicky. My dad is also calling for him in the front of the house. Dad asks me, "have you looked outside"? Uhhh, noooo, why would I look outside? How would he get out there? My dad ran out the back door and low and behold there was Evans sitting in the rain on the wet ground behind my car. This means that he crawled out the back door (and closed it behind himself), through the garage and past my car before realizing that he doesn't actually like having on wet clothes and that he was in over his head. My parents live up a huge hill on a cul-de-sac so I don't think he could have made it far but it freaked me out. I'm thinking of getting an invisible fence? I'm currently taking suggestions (besides actually making sure the door is closed all the way). I was too freaked out to take any pictures.

4. My mom informed me upon her return from the laundry room that I had created a "problem by the washing machine". After further investigation I found that I had left the new 3987 pound tub of Oxyclean on top of the washer while doing a load of laundry. Not a great idea as it was all over the floor. It's amazing how much powder 3978 pounds equals. Thank goodness for the new Dyson slim.

5. After my oxyclean incident I came back upstairs and listened for Evans. Unfortunately all I heard was splashing and I subsequently found him playing in the toilet. Soaking wet. Outfit #4.

That about sums it all up. I didn't feel great on Sunday and did my best just to keep up with Evans. I am proud to report that the crib was vom-free this morning and I think we have made it over the hump. Please god let tomorrow morning be the same, only this time, I'd rather it not be at 5:30am. Evans' behavior this past week has been atrocious and I am really praying that it is because he hasn't felt great. If this is a "phase", I'm not sure I can handle it. Happy Monday!


Julia said...

O-M-G! I'm feeling your pain!

old dad said...

I am exhausted after reading about your day. Things will get better.

morgan823 said...

Bless your heart!!! I sure hope this week and weekend coming up is much, much better for you!

Anonymous said...

Some memories never fade. Forty years ago we had a very similar experience at the Seven Steers across from the Fox. I still have a napkin that I covered Cousin B's face with as we scooted out the door!

Anonymous said...

You can bring him to gannies and you can rest a little....give him a kiss for me...Love ya...