Wednesday, September 16, 2009

John Joseph Schiveree 3/21/1930 - 9/15/2009

Would you get a load of that face?? It is hard to imagine this picture was taken in (roughly) 1934 or so!! Sorry for the terrible scanning job, I'm not sure whether to blame my mother or my father, but this little boy is cute! I'm betting that he was also very bad! I woke up this morning sad and missing my Captain Jack. I can hardly get my head around the fact that I am never going to see him again. The weather in Germany doesn't do much to lift ones spirits either. I'm sad that I won't be able to get home for the funeral and sad that I didn't get to say goodbye. I imagined that this sort of thing would happen at some point while we were living overseas but I sure didn't think it would be this fast or this person. Anyways, I was excited to see this picture when I checked my e-mail this morning. I remember growing up that my mom hung pictures going up the back stairs and this one was always one of them. So was this one.....Did anyone notice that the suits are almost identical in both these pictures?? Hmmmmmm. Captain Jack was a handsome man, and don't think he didn't know it. This picture was taken around the time of the Korean War, I am assuming. Eventually, my grandfather went to work at Prudential, where he had to wear a suit and tie to work everyday. I mention this only because if you only knew him after retirement (at the age of 50!) you would have seen him in an outfit more like this.....Crappy t'shirts, crappy cut off jeans and (mostly) crappy boat shoes. It used to make my grandmother so mad and there were times when you might have mistaken him for being homeless. :) He had to be THREATENED for special occasions and you could never be certain what he would show up wearing. He managed to show up for my sister's rehearsal dinner in the hideous boat shoes and I thought my mom was going to slap him. I think that it is only appropriate that he is going to be buried in them. My mom said she would have buried him in a t'shirt and cut-offs but that she would be afraid to answer to my grandmother when they finally meet again! I just can't believe that the above picture was taken only 6 WEEKS AGO! My mom said he must have been telling a story about how big the fish was that just got away.

Tomorrow I PROMISE more entertaining stories. I have a really good one about something that happened to Deaner and I in the Manchester airport last Friday. My heart is still racing from it. And guess who is coming over for dinner tonight!?!? GEORGE!!!!!! Deaner said that we really needed to have him and his wife over to show our appreciation for everything they have done for us since we have moved here. I agree, but I'm sure it is going to be a doozy. And while I haven't seen George in two weeks, he has been over twice today. Once with a meter reader and once with a person to check on our heat. Why he was checking on our heat? I don't even ask anymore, I just let him in! Alright, I'm off to finish cooking and start tapping my toe for my husband to make his appearance from the gym! Happy Hump Day!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Just wanted you to know how sorry Frank and I are that Jack's life had to end so soon. He was a unique individual and we always enjoyed being around him.
Kay

susanne said...

I really would like to bury Captain in shorts and a t-shirt but I AM too scared of Nana. I think the boat shoes will be enough - wish we had a picture of THOSE!!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

You do have wonderful memories of your grandpa.

He was such a handsome little fella and handsome in his military uniform and handsome in his fishing clothes!

Blessings and Aloha!

old dad said...

That was a great Eulogy. Thanks for sharing. We will be thinking about you and Richard tonight and tomorrow.

Hope you have a good weekend.