Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Captain Jack & Stonehenge

Well the two subjects in my title don't have a whole lot to do with each other but I have news to report on both of them. Remember awhile ago when I posted about my grandfather and his malignant skin cancer? We were very thankful at the time that it appeared everything was removed and that he was completely cancer free. In fact, my father went so far as to say that he was the luckiest man alive. Well, ever since my sister's wedding Captain hasn't been feeling so good and it is because his cancer has come back. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done for him at this point and really he has gone from good to bad to worse. Since I have been in England the past week, he has been moved to hospice care. At first I hoped that Deaner and I would be able to see him when we came home for Christmas but it doesn't appear that he is going to be able to hold on that long. According to my mom, it will be best for him if he DOESN'T hold out that long! My parents have told me that there is no way I should even think about coming home to try and see Captain because I was just home a month ago when he was feeling good and I should let the last time I saw him be on a high note. I know that this is what Captain would would wanted but it is still a really hard position to be in and be thinking about. Of course I want to go home and see my grandfather one more time but I know that he wouldn't want that. He would genuinely prefer me to stay here but this whole situation has just plunged me into some extreme homesickness. I am ready to get out of England but even then, I have to return to Germany. I've just been down in the dumps the past week or so.

SO, in attempts to not be such a debbie downer, I am going to post a bunch of pictures of STONES. Stonehenge to be exact. Deaner and I visited there on Sunday and it was quite the sight. When we got home and I was uploading pictures I realized that I had taken 76 pictures of the same pile of stones!! :) I will attempt to hit the highlights!!You are no longer allowed to walk among the stones and I was really nervous that it would be hard to see them. As you can see, they allow you to get PLENTY close enough to take some fabulous pictures.Truth be told, I have about 73 more pictures just like the ones above! I think I'll spare y'all though! I don't know the entire story behind Stonehenge and I think that most of it remains a mystery. I did pick up that the stones were brought from as far away as Wales and that it is pretty amazing that humans got them to stand upright like that. I don't get it. But I think that is part of the point! We also went to another "henge" about 25 miles North of Stonehenge where you are allowed to walk amongst the stones. It was sort of boring and the stones were MUCH smaller than at Stonehenge but just to give you an idea.........There is Deaner taking a rest in one of the stones. I'd recommend Stonehenge to anyone interested! It was worth seeing but I am glad that we did it in conjunction with another trip.

Anyways, that is about all I have to say today. I feel like I am being really boring but I'm just not in a very peppy mood. I'm in a library on base and I did just discover their CD's which I am currently uploading onto my itunes! :) At least I am able to updates some of my music selections! Tomorrow I will try and be peppy-ier! Hope everyone is having a good day! Is it seriously only Wednesday!?

7 comments:

Jenny @ Practically Perfect... said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. I briefly worked in hospice, and I know how hard it is for the families. I'm sorry that your not able to come home, but I'm glad that you were able to see him not too long ago, and that he was doing really well the last time you saw him. I'll be thinking of you and your family!

old dad said...

Hang in there Sarah, we know it is tough and we are still praying for Capt Jack, you/richard and your family. the pictures of London and Stonehenge are great. still can't wait to get over there for the Thankgiving week.

EmilyB said...

Ohhh so sorry to hear about your grandfather. I can't imagine how far away you must feel right now. Hug your husband, talk to your family, look at pictures. It will be tough - but you will be ok. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Jon and Steph said...

You have EVERY right to be down in the dumps and a debby downer! Don't feel bad about that!! Praying for you friend!

Anita K. said...

I am so sorry to read about your grandfather. It may be hard to find a bright spot in this and especially at this time, but the good news is he won't and hasn't had years of suffering. I'm glad you just saw a month ago with many happy memories.

It's okay to be debbie downer and don't feel guilty about it!

Peachy Keen said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandfather and you and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. I'm sure this makes you feel very far from home and hopefully the experience and memory of seeing him full of life and health at your sister's wedding will help you through.

susanne said...

LOVED the pics of Stonehenge - I can't wait to show Captain tomorrow. This wierd stuff is right up his alley!