Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Kitchen Pictures!!!!

So today was the day!! I was finally allowed to head over to the new house and start painting!! As if I were prepared just to do that! Steph and I ventured out this afternoon to hit up the German version of Home Depot "OBI" in hopes of finding a decent paint color. I had looked before today and I was not thrilled with my choices so I was happy when I found something acceptable today. I was even thinking that paint wasn't THAT much more expensive in Germany until I realized that 24 Euro for 2.5 liters of paint was not equivalent to the GALLON size can that paint comes in in the States. One gallon actually equals roughly 4 liters so I was getting HALF the amount of paint for a slightly increased price (plus crappy exchange rate). I hate to put the numbers on paper but that means that it is approximately $67 for a gallon of paint, give or take. Oh well, it isn't like we could have gotten away without painting. It is desperately needed! I even woke up and went to the base and bought some VAT forms so I could save the 19% tax that Germans place on EVERYTHING but the lady at the cash register didn't speak English well and the line was astronomically long so I decided that I would figure out that refund another day!

I took Steph out to see the new house and to drop off all the painting supplies. After I showed her around I brought her back into town and headed back out to Hattenheim to roll up my sleeves and get to work! I managed to get the entire kitchen taped, which was no small task, and I even started painting! One dumb move that I made was that I bought 3 packs of replacement edgers and NO EDGER! Ha Ha! Guess I'm heading back to the hardware store on base tomorrow! Here are some of the before pictures just so we can compare when I am done! After all my taping of course!I am REALLY hoping that I can get a full day of work in tomorrow and at the very least get the first coat up completely. It is pretty apparent to me that it is going to take two coats. I just hope I end up liking the color alright because I don't have many other choices! I'll definitely have more pictures up tomorrow!

Today was a very productive day for me! Deaner would be so proud! He comes home from Manchester tomorrow pretty late. This would be okay with me because it would give me a whole long day to work at the house EXCEPT that I have to pick him up from the airport which is an hour away. Yuck. Oh well! I'll be happy to have him home again! We plan on spending the weekend working on the house and trying to get it in order for when the movers come! Is it so wrong for me to be thinking about the weekend yet!?!

By the way, I asked the wife who we bought our house from if she liked the new paint color. She said "ummmmm, not so much". Nice. Can't she just have pretended? It is a color called SAND and it is certainly not "chocolate" like the husband referred to it as! I'll say that it sure is better than the yellow that it is now! I'll prove them wrong with the best looking kitchen they have ever seen!! Hope everyone is having a good day!

10 comments:

susanne said...

I love the kitchen - everything looks better with a fresh coat of paint. Even if some people don't like "sand".

Under this Umbrella said...

YAY for you! First big step down. Can't wait to see the finished product. Sending happy painting thoughts your way!

Chubs said...

Glad I am not close enough to have to paint. I know it feels great to at last be moving toward having the house. It's very exciting.

The Pink Chick said...

I can't wait to see the finished project! The color sounds beautiful!!

Unknown said...

It's going to turn out great! We used a "sand" color too and love it!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

She's probably just bitter that you're changing what was her house. I bet it'll look great!

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

Wait the lady with Donald duck in her house didn't like sand? I would totally take it back then. She is clearly Martha Stewart-Schmidt. :)

The base should sell some colors at about 20/gallon. The are pretty basic, but you might use them in some of the rooms. I forget the color we used in our room, it's a tan color and we really like it.

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

Oh yeah, and most places will let you bring in the receipt and a VAT form within a few days for a refund. You might try going back today.

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

How exciting this is! looking forward to your after pics.

Your kitchen looks pretty big and will be awesome when you are all set up.

There's a HGTV show that has former owners comment on the new owners changes to their home that they sold to them... I dont like especially, when the previous owners are down right rude and say flat out "how horrible" or "get upset about the changes"! I mean, for goodness sakes, it is NOT their home any more! and 99% of the times the changes are vast improvements from before!

Happy Painting!

The Bethell Family said...

I LOVE this kitchen!!