Friday, August 28, 2009

House Progress

Who would like to have this as a view out of their den window while they enjoy watching TV?? Sometimes I have to pinch myself to find out if I am about to wake up from a really LONG dream. Did I really get married and move across the world in the past six months? Sometimes it seems unbelievable even to me. So, lots of people have been asking me to take a picture of the outside of the house for them to see. Do not ask me why this has been such a hard task for me to fulfill! But I promise to try and little bit harder this weekend! Since the house is 3 full stories tall, I need to walk across the street and down the block a bit to get a shot of all it, and I just haven't gotten around to it yet! I did take this picture from the den window though. Isn't the view of the vineyard stunning!? The view from the guest bedroom (directly above the den so you can see over the trees) is even better for those that want to visit and see for themselves! I also took this picture out the same window.....This is the sign for the bakery that is downstairs from us. I have been down there briefly to meet someone but I haven't bought anything. It appears I need to because it is hopping every morning! See the gates in the background? Those lead to a little Wiengut or Wiengarten that is right across the street. You can have dinner and enjoy the local wine there. Onto house progress. Today I think I will show y'all the den and the laundry room. Here is what the den looked like BEFORE we moved in and BEFORE George moved out.Aren't those dolls creepy!?!? Here is the mass chaos that it was when the movers dumped all our furniture in it. I really wish I had painted it FIRST!And here is what it looks like now. I have painted it and arranged all the furniture. Deaner still has to run the cables the right way ect but it is pretty much done. The best addition to the room was the ceiling fan! It might have been a debacle to put it up but it was well worth it!I am pretty happy with the way that it turned out. It is so awkward trying to take a picture of the room as a whole. I hope that my pictures give y'all an idea! I think that it is cozy and that we will be spending A LOT of time in there!

So, onto the laundry room. This room perhaps has had the largest facelift in the whole house. It was definitely the most hideous room in the house when we moved in but George kept good to his word and he partially renovated it for us. Here is what it looked like before. Try not to gag.Demolition begins.....Do not ask me why George hammered out those ugly ass tiles on one of the walls and not the other! I almost died when I saw that they were still there. So I decided to take matters into my own hands. Once George put in the new ceiling and new walls, I painted them all white. I decided that I couldn't stand the tile either and that I was going to take my chances painting them white.I was so happy that they looked so much better with paint on them that I decided to undertake a project that took me almost a week! However, I love the way that it turned out! I got high gloss lime green and white paint and painted the tiles checkered!!And Taaaaaa-DaaaaaaI even made this table skirt to hide the washer and dryer! I was thrilled with the way that it turned out but I would think twice about doing it again. It was VERY tedious and took a lot of patience! I love that I even got the rug to match. Of course, Deaner still has to hang all my light fixtures. It still feels a little ghetto folding laundry by the light of a hanging light bulb straight from the ceiling! Also, we have another refridgerator being delivered to act as our beer fridge! It will go to the left of the folding table. Still needs a bit of work but it is a DEFINITE improvement.

On a funny note before I wrap this up, George came to check out my progress one day while I was working. He came in and looked around and said "Oh wow! Before, I had no idea why Deaner would marry you!! But now I know it is because you do all the work around here"!!!!!! HA HA HA HA. How insulting!! I imagine that there was a bit lost in translation because George would never say anything mean to me but it did almost make me laugh out loud since it sounded VERY CLOSE to an insult!! :) More tomorrow!!

11 comments:

Jenny @ Practically Perfect... said...

I love the view of the vineyard! And you guys have definitely improved the house :-)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Those checkered tiles look amazing!!!! George is just bitter he doesn't have your creativeness !

Jon and Steph said...

I can't wait to see all of the work you've done tomorrow!

Hello Hattenheim festival and grilled burgers.....

Emory said...

Your house is looking so good. I want to come visit you really bad. I am so glad to see that the t-shirt blanket is still in use!

The Bethell Family said...

Gleats it looks great!!!

Peachy Keen said...

That view is just incredible! And you did a fantastic job on the washroom--love the green and white!

Under this Umbrella said...

what great work you have done. It all looks fantastic.

susanne said...

The laundry room looks great! Is that a marble floor?? In the LAUNDRY roon??? Wow!

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

It's looking great! Way to go!

The Granthams said...

Your house looks so good!! Can't wait to see more!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Beautiful scenery! Everything is looking great!

& the green and white tiles look awesome!

Blessings & Aloha!