Sunday, January 13, 2013

Book List 2012

When I started keeping track of books that I had read I had no idea that I was entering such a fierce competition with myself.  My goal was simply to remember what books I'd read and the only way to do that was to physically write them down.  I started keeping collections sorted by year on my Kindle as well as a word document that I constantly updated.  It was nice at the end of 2011 to be able to see the 37 novels I completed during the year and starting in 2012 my only goal was to read more than 37 in the current year.  It became clear halfway through 2012 that I would definitely reach my 37 novel goal so my loftier goal became 50.  I have to admit that I was at times FRANTIC for new recommendations as I scrambled to reach 50 books. Sadly, I fell short, halfway through book 48 on New Year's Eve.  Ah well.  I suppose this gives me something to work towards in 2013.  So without further ado, here is my complete list of books read in 2012.  There is a little bit of everything on here so I'm sure that everyone reading could pick SOMETHING that they would enjoy!

2012 Books

48. The Twelve Tribes of Hattie by Ayana Mathis
47.The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey**
46. The Inconvenient Wife by Megan Chance
45. I’d Know You Anywhere by Laura Lippman**
44. The Midwife’s Confession by Diane Chamberlain
43. Dreams of Joy by Lisa See
42. Shanghai Girls by Lisa See
41. Reached by Ally Condie
40. Hotel On The Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford**
39. The Imperfectionists by Tom Rachman
38. The Roots of the Olive Tree by Courtney Miller Santos**
37. Defending Jacob by William Landay
36. The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin
35. This One Is Mine by Maria Semple
34. Outlander by Diana Giabaldon
33. The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O’Farrell**
32. Where’d You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple**
31. The Spire by Robert North Patterson
30. The Light Between Oceans by ML Stedman
29. Where We Belong by Emily Giffin
28. My Year With Eleanor by Noelle Hancock**
27. The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty
26. Seating Arrangements by Maggie Shipstead
25. The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson**
24. Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
23. Let’s Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson
22. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn**
21. Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walters
20. The Life Boat by Charlotte Rogan
19. My Fair Lazy by Jen Lancaster
18. A Grown Up Kind of Pretty by Joshilyn Jackson**
17. The American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld
16. Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James
15. Fifty Shades Darker by E.L. James
14. Fifty Shades Freed by E.L. James
13. The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff
12. Miss Penegrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
11. The Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick
10. The Darlings by Cristina Alger
9. The Night Circus by Erin Morganstern**
8. State of Wonder by Anne Patchett **
7. The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom
6. The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly
5. Crossed by Ally Condi
4. Matched by Ally Condi
3. The Paris Wife by Paula Mclain **
2. Bitter Is The New Black by Jennifer Lancaster
1. Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe

I've denoted my favorites with an **.  Sorry E. L. James, I just could not endorse the ridiculousness that was your 50 Shades trilogy.  Sorry Jen Lancaster and Jenny Lawson, y'all both still really bug me.  David Ebershoff, I really enjoyed The 19th Wife and found the story very interesting but what I have taken with me and all I recall after months of reading this is that Brigham Young was a total dirtbag.  Eowyn Ivey, I really didn't enjoy reading The Snow Child, so I am not sure why it ended up being one that I liked so much.  Odd phenomenon for sure.  

It was a good reading reading wise.  I'm looking forward to 2013 and hoping that it brings as many good ones as this past year.  As always, I'm open to any and all suggestions.  Happy reading y'all! 

0 comments: