Tuesday, March 26, 2013

I Think I'm Cracking Up

I truly thought we had turned the corner here in Germany.  Around March every year I start to see the light at the end of the long gray tunnel that is the winter here.  Sometimes looks can be deceiving I suppose.  After a particularly mild weekend several weeks ago, Deaner and I were left walking on air in anticipation of spring time.  The wine stand on the Rhein opened the barrel weeks ahead of schedule, we actually saw the sunshine and if you pay close attention, you will see that Evans was not even wearing his heavy ski jacket.  Life was good.
And just like that, just when we were starting to feel the gloom lift, just when we could feel the life slowly returning to Germany, we woke up to this.
No warning or anything.  Nothing in the forecast about a small March blizzard because apparently this is just NORMAL around here (though to be honest, we have lived here four years and I cannot ever recall it snowing in March).  
No big deal.  Just a couple inches.  Or NINE.  Deaner's office even closed in the middle of the day so that everyone could get home.  A few days later we got another several inches without warning.  Folks, this is the kind of snow that closes down Atlanta for days.  And since I no longer live in Atlanta in a house with three awesome roommates to eat cheese puffs with and drink wine out of a box, I no longer find this all that amusing.  I truly would have rather been watching an Alias marathon than building another snowman.
I think even Evans is over the snowman since he is pitching a fit that the snowman got to wear his "baby glasses".  Deaner called me lazy for drawing the snowman's mouth with a sharpie marker.  Sorry guys, I'm definitely over the snow building and sharpie was as good as it was going to get!  
I suppose that no one ever died from a long winter and now that we are approaching April maybe we really will turn the corner.  Until then I guess we have no other choice but to bundle up!  Happy Monday! 

1 comments:

EmilyB said...

I feel ya -- we just got a foot of snow on Sunday! But the good news is it's supposed to be 60 this coming Sunday. Crazy weather. My only hope is that this extended winter means it won't be 100 degrees for 3 months straight this summer....fingers are crossed.