Thursday, September 13, 2012

Salsa Verde Enchiladas

Every once in awhile I come across a recipe that immediately becomes part of our family's permanent dinner rotations.  I have discovered several new recipes lately that are well worth sharing but I wanted to start off with one of our staples.  Anyone else love enchiladas but feel like they are the biggest pain in the a#* to make?  I have a recipe that I used to pull out every now and then because it was AWESOME but it took me all afternoon and every single pot and pan in my kitchen.  These salsa verde enchiladas are not only easier than your run of the mill enchiladas, they taste better AND did I mention they were weight watchers?? (if you follow the recipe).  :)  Deaner and I enjoy these at least once a week, typically on a Thursday, because I can make them in the afternoon and set them aside for later (if we are forced to go by the wine stand).  While the actual baking of chicken can take up to an hour I try to start them when E goes down for a nap and I know that many people roast chickens as meals and use the left overs for their shredded chicken.  SO, without further ado, I give you the most tasty, most incredible and toddler consuming chicken enchiladas.

1.  Bake your chicken.  For Deaner and I only, I use three HALF chicken breasts because we are lucky enough to have these at the commissary.  However, in the past month or so, Evans has decided to horn in on this deal and gobble down his fair share of dinner, so I've upped the recipe to 3 full chicken breasts.  Place raw chicken in baking dish and cover completely with chicken broth.  You can also use salted water but to each his own.  If I remember the broth at the store, great, if not, oh well.  Bake for @ 45 minutes on 350 degrees F or 177 degrees C.

2.  When chicken is done baking pull out of broth and set on cutting board.  Shred with two forks, removing all the gross gizzardy veiny chicken parts.  Place shredded chicken in a mixing bowl.

3.  Mix shredded chicken with half a jar of Ortega Salsa Verde salsa and mix well.  Enough to make shredded chicken wet.
4.  Add 1-2 cups of shredded Monterrey Jack cheese.  Weight watchers probably calls for only 1 cup.  I didn't claim I was following the WW recipe to a tee!  Deaner prefers his enchiladas without cheese (obnoxious) so I typically make his before adding a large pile of cheese to mine.
(sorry, couldn't get the picture to rotate)

5.  Use soft tortilla TACO shells to wrap chicken into enchiladas.  I like to use taco size tortillas because they are more manageable however you can use fajita size.  Burrito sized are just too big, sorry.  Place in baking dish once rolled.  

6.  Spoon remaining Ortega salsa verda on top of enchiladas.  Top with shredded Monterrey Jack.  
7.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-30 minutes or until cheese is bubbling (beware.....if your husband is weird and doesn't like cheese, his might bake faster).  

Serve with tortilla chips and extra salsa is desired.  I apologize for not having a picture of the finished product but they were gone too quickly.  I cannot stress how much my toddler loves these.  I have started doubling my recipe and individually freezing the extras for Evans to eat during the week.  They are so easy to pull out of the freezer and warm up in the oven.  Add a cold beer and you have the perfect late in the week meal.  Great company food as well as I've never met anyone that doesn't love there.  Happy Eating!!  


6 comments:

Suzanne said...

To save time you can use canned chicken. It's white meat that is already fully cooked. I use it all the time and no one notices:) You can find it in the commissary by the tuna.

Unknown said...

Love THE PIG!!
Lottice

Amy said...

I am baking mine right now! I used leftover rotisserie chicken! I hope it is as yummy as it looks!

Shannon said...

You had me at weight watchers...well really, you had me at cheese ;) I am definitely going to try these!

Andy said...

I am baking mine right now! I used leftover rotisserie chicken! I hope it is as yummy as it looks!

Four said...

To save time you can use canned chicken. ^^ i like