Thursday, December 8, 2011

Never Lose Sight

Of your child that is! Yesterday I think Evans really had it out for me. If I had to hear this train/bus/whatever it is blare it's music one more time, I was probably going to die. Why do toy manufacturers make them SO loud? And of course, Evans LOVES it. He dances, he sings and generally looks to die for cute so it is hard to take it away. Anyways. Yesterday afternoon we were at my Aunt's house watching the twins and Evans was sitting with the train (I really think it is a train even though I refer to it as a bus most of the time) in front of the TV in the kitchen. I have a major pet peeve of the television being too loud so the combination of both was really making me rethink wearing ear plugs. Evans was happy and I was playing with Molly on the couch. After a couple of minutes I realized that it was very quiet in the house. I don't follow Evans everywhere he goes because he normally stays between the kitchen and the den, where all the toys are. I started calling his name and instead of hearing rustling around like I normally do, there was silence. I got up to walk into the den, all while calling his name, but it was very clear he wasn't in the den either. I called his name much louder this time I heard the thuds of rapid crawling above my head. I ran to the bottom of the stairs and there was that train about 3/4ths of the way up the stairs while Evans rounded the corner from the top to grin down at me at the bottom of the stairs. I was stunned. I knew he could go up stairs but he doesn't normally pay too much attention to them so I don't ever block them. And this was a staircase of probably 15 stairs at least. AND I can see the staircase from where I was sitting on the couch and I STILL didn't see him go by. This could be a problem. My solution?Brilliant right? Well here was Evans' response as soon as I walked back into the kitchen.I think I am going to have to be a little bit more creative. I wedged this chair and stool in much tighter this morning and he still shimmied underneath the chair. I should probably come up with a better approach before I go wake him up from his nap in a little bit.

So tomorrow is the big day with the Christmas Pageant! It also happens to be Evans' 15 month checkup BEFORE school so I will be up at the crack of dawn. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that my mom, sister and I are hosting a Christmas open house this evening for all our girlfriends. It promises to be a fun night with plenty of good stories to tell tomorrow! Happy Thursday!

6 comments:

Sandra said...

I think you need a gate for the stairs!

Hatton said...

As always, you crack me up. Good luck. Stairs are fascinating and they NEVER get old!!! Also: here's my post about the 15 month check up because I was very unprepared for the questions I was asked!!! http://www.freshmom.com/2011/for-mom/the-15-month-old-check-up/

Anonymous said...

It is always interesting when it comes to little people and stairs! Best of luck tomorrow with his checkup and please post lost of pictures of the Pageant. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

I put scotch tape over the speakers on those annoying toys...makes them a little more bearable because the sound is muffled :). Looking forward to tonight!

Stephani

Unknown said...

never, ever wake a sleeping toddler. :)

susanne said...

That bus/train has got to go. It's a menace to parental sanity. I hid it behind the couch pillows.